Valentine’s Day is coming up, quite possibly the most romantic day of the year (or at least it’s marketed as such) and so you may be thinking that it’s the perfect day to propose. But, unless your hopefully soon to be fiance is a super duper lover of the holiday, it’s really not the best idea and I’ve got 5 reasons why you shouldn’t propose on Valentine’s Day.
1. Everything will cost double. Or triple or more. It’s a couple’s holiday so every service and item associated with it will be marked up. Everything from flowers and chocolate to spa services and the meal.
2. All romantic restaurants will be packed. So, if you’re thinking about having part of the proposal or experience take place at a restaurant, you’ll be surrounded by other couples. Not super intimate or private.
3. Big romantic gestures will be happening left and right, including proposals. You don’t want yours to be just one amongst many.
4. Expectations are already too high. You want the proposal to be a surprise, but you don’t want to have to compete with your girlfriend/boyfriend expecting something already.
5. It’s totally overdone. Cupid and red hearts will be all over the place. Valentine’s day isn’t all that special in and of itself, so unless it means something to you or her/him, pick another day. You want this moment to feel special for both of you and not as a bandwagon to the holiday.
(Photo credit: Milou and Olin Photography)